Monday, February 4, 2008

Please Reuse, Reduce and Recycle


Recently what happened, or has been happening in my house for the pass 24 years startled me. For a moment, cold sweat broke out of me.

I was doing the usual Chinese New Year spring cleaning when I saw the huge amount of recyclable and toxic objects in my house.

I am pretty sure I have 'culled' at least 500 pieces of plastic shopping bags, slightly less than a hundred disposable plastic spoons,those pesky little rubber bands, plastic disposable food containers and a few dozens of empty sauce glass bottles.

What makes me paranoid is not the amount of trash my house contains ( You believe!), it is visualising the huge amount of trash one is capable of producing, without you consciously knowing it before you do a reality check.

One thing that really intrigues me is that recyling companies actually hand out big plastic bags for people to throw their recycleables in. isn't it ironic that at least 1/5 of those plastic bags i found are for recycling purpose?

It is a good start by introducing Bring Your Own Shopping Bag day, but i think more should be done to instill a since of urgency in people. People will not give up something so accessible and given in order to sing to your tune of saving the Earth.

Maybe they should introduce a plastic offset tax on plastic bags so for every plastic bag they you get, a certain amount is contributed to the acquisition of plastic bag maufacturers and close them down.

No comments: